March 12, 2014

Seriously?! My Old Employer's Website EPIC FAIL.

Believe it or not I don't try to dwell on things in the past. It is usually a fruitless endeavor.

There are times, however, where crap from the past resurfaces.

This week I needed to go visit my old employer's website to grab some info for a job application I was filling out. Usually I just utilize a large Word document I keep filled with answers to just about every question I've ever come across in a job app. Not really sure what I needed, but for this story, it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I'm on the site and shaking my head at a couple of things that just rub me the wrong way. You see, I pretty much wrote and definitely managed the old website and while the new one pretty much incorporated a bunch of changes I was recommending when I left, there were a lot of things I didn't care for. Call it sour grapes or what you will, but I've never been a fan of BS pages that exist just to try and draw in extra visits. The new site has a bunch of links at the bottom that is nothing but link-bait. Sure, they each go to a page....a page of BS. Each page is basically the same, but with a single paragraph of generic information regarding the location.

Dumb collection of link-bait on the bottom of every page

Now you might not really care one way or another about the link-bait, and I get that, but what I noticed next is just wrong on an EPIC level.  Have you seen it yet?

Now it might be germane to note that my previous employer was a reasonably well-known Interventionist. He did a few episodes of the Intervention show. A lot of the work I did was help facilitate interventions for people wanting to get their loved ones into drug & alcohol treatment. I took a lot of initial calls, made travel arrangements, etc.

Anyway....now knowing this particular aspect of my previous employment you might get why this is full of FAIL:
See it yet?

Hmmm......maybe you haven't seen it yet, so I'll highlight it for you:

Yep. My old company is shilling for an online drug store on every page of their website. Seriously not cool. I think technically it isn't unethical, but seriously?

I have to assume that they don't know they have drug ads on every page, but since they don't manage the website in-house they'll probably never even notice.

No comments: