February 2, 2013

Chicken & Rice Casserole

While I do like to cook, I'm not a big fan of the cleanup.  One dish meals are always good, but quite usually those one-dish meals are anything but.

This is a technically a two-dish meal that I like to make.  I've been playing with it off and on for a couple of years now and I think I've finally dialed it in.  I like recipes that I don't have to be overly specific in order to get it to work.

This is one of those recipes.

Chicken & Rice Casserole
Chicken & Rice Casserole

Ingredients:
Family pack of Chicken Legs
2 Cups Rice
1/4 Stick butter
1 Big Can (26oz-28oz) Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Small Can (10.75oz) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Soup cans water (one big & one small)
4 Can Green Beans


Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 275 Degrees
  2. Mix and heat the soup, water, & butter in a pot until the butter melts
  3. Dump the rice in the bottom of a large pan (recommend a roasting pan), spread it out if it makes you feel good.
  4. Dump half of the soup into the pan
  5. Stir the soupy rice and spread it out evenly
  6. Spread your chicken in the center of the pan, one layer deep
  7. Dump the rest of the soup over the chicken
  8. Drain the green beans and add around the perimeter of the pan
  9. Bake for three hours
Steps Towards Making Chicken & Rice Casserole

Shared on Frugal by Choice, Cheap by design
Shared 2013.02.04
That's it....the meal is pretty simply, but tastes good.  You could add up to a whole stick of butter.  I find it too oily, but whatever floats your boat.  Skin, no skin.....legs, thighs....doesn't matter much.  Just use what you have.  I prefer bone-in chicken so the meat stays together.  If I was using boneless I'd consider just chopping it up and adding it to the soup before mixing it all together.  You might also want more green beans.  If so, go for it.....this recipe is rather forgiving.

No comments: