April 9, 2012

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Worst superhero film ever.
We didn't have a HackMaster game tonight because it was Easter and my in-laws wanted a family dinner.  Instead most of us got together at the dollar-theater to watch Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

To paraphrase Scott Kurtz: "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was two minutes of greatness wrapped in 90 minutes of suck."

All of the reviews I've seen have it at about 50%, which is about 40% to high in my opinion.  While I'd have been utterly pissed had I seen this movie at a full ticket price, for $3 it was worth watching for comedic value.



The first thing I noticed was that this wasn't a Marvel film.  Instead of the familiar Marvel logo that starts off with the flipping pages of comics, there was this quick flash of a Marvel Knights logo.  Evidently the Marvel Knights brand is a way to do some one-offs that don't impact the rest of the Marvel universe.  In this case I think it is just to protect the main brand from this kind of crap.

The pacing was way off, which to me usually means a poorly edited film.  There wasn't really any relevant setup to the films beginning and you could tell that a lot of character interaction was cut out. Some of the CGI effects had this weird fade-to-black background that just seemed to be there to make the special effect cheaper to produce.  The might as well just left the green screen up, it was almost that bad.

Now I'm a sucker for superhero movies, always have been and probably always will.  This was absolutely the worst superhero flick I've seen to date.  Definitely a rent, not buy film.  Heck, I'll save you a buck, watch the trailer instead and count yourself lucky.....unless you like bad movies (which I do occasionally).



Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was a bad movie

No comments: