April 11, 2012

Eagle Scout Projects

Things were much different back in my day!
While I realize that things are going to change as I get older, life still manages to throw me a few curve balls that catch me right in the kisser.

Something that I take great pride in is the fact that I earned my Eagle Scout rank with the Boy Scouts of America.  It wasn't easy for me to do and towards the end I was quickly running out of time.  To say I was active during my high school years is a bit of an understatement. Sports wasn't my thing but at one point or another I was in every single non-athletic-extra-curricular activity except for French Club, and Mock Trial.  My senior year I also had a job and was actively involved with the Order of the Arrow as our Chapter Chief.


In the end, I managed to finish my Eagle Project with three days to spare before my 18th birthday, the cut-off for Eagle.  My project was installing some playground equipment for my church.  I designed a tether-ball and volleyball set, secured the funding, actually built the equipment (I had help with the welding), and then my brother and I installed the set.  While the church could have bought off-the-shelf equipment, I designed it such that the volleyball net was adjustable for different ages (I averaged the men's & women's official age bracket heights) and made the bases where they were below grade and watertight so the field where the equipment went could be easily mowed.  Even though it was a small project, it required a lot of planning and coordination.  When finished there was something lasting for the church to use.

This is all just background to the rant at hand.  On my way out the door today I noticed a wet flier stuck under the front mat.  Assuming it was another offer to paint my house or mow my lawn I gave it quick glance on the way to the trash can.  Nope, not even close:
"Eagle Scout Project Canned Food Drive"

Seriously?!  A canned food drive?  Eagle Scout projects are supposed to be approved and I cannot believe that a canned food drive made the cut.  Generally speaking a project that is essentially manual labor isn't approved.  Handing out fliers and then picking up food can require some coordination, but I'd think it was more just grunt work.

Maybe it's just me getting older and grumpier.  I got to volunteer with the local Scout council last year and I'm looking forward to doing it more in the future.  I've put that on hold until I get back to full time employment.

No comments: