March 18, 2012

John Carter

Carolyn and I went to go see John Carter yesterday and I must say I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Disney did a terrible job advertising the film, but in their defense, it almost made sense why they changed the name of the film from "Princess of Mars" to "John Carter of Mars" to simply "John Carter".

It was a sci-fi action flick that really was more about John Carter than anything.  Everything happening was about this man's journey from being a troubled soul to good, some my say "righteous" man.


I thought there was one important aspect they could have explained better, but I'm hoping a private viewing on DVD with the ability to pause and rewind scenes may help round out my understanding.

At a showtime of over 2 hours John Carter was not your typical Disney film.  The pacing was good, not rushed, and I didn't feel  the obviousness that usually accompanies Disney fare.  The typical Disney film is usually so predictable it isn't even funny.  They only get away with it because of the appeal for an audience who doesn't get it (children) and the fact that while you may know where the ride is going, it is a fun ride anyway.

I haven't read the book, so I cannot tell you how close the movie sticks to it, but I can tell you that I liked this story well enough to start reading the source material.

No comments: