December 31, 2011

So Long 2011, Here's to 2012

My initial reaction is something along the lines of "Good Riddance" to 2011.  On the surface, this last year hasn't been a very good one for me, so future has a lot more room to be brighter and not as much to be darker.

I'm not one for "best of" or "worst of" lists, but being unemployed for all of 2011 pretty much ranks up there on the worst of side of things and a lot of issues stem from that.  Lost some friends and family in 2011, and I turned 40.

On the flip side though, I do have a lot to be thankful for also.

When things go bad for you it quickly becomes apparent who the "fair weather" friends are.  I had some people from my old job/industry who I considered friends, but they were nowhere to be found in 2011.  I had some other people I considered more acquaintances, and those relationships were kicked up a notch or two.  I got to know a few people better this last year and I got to start some special projects that were fun for me.  These were things I wouldn't have had time for if I was still working 60+ hours a week.

I also have my health.  Of course that is often one of those generic things to be thankful for, but this year I was asked to share some of my good health with someone far less fortunate.  As far as I know, there is some woman who can be thankful for 2012 herself instead of having to get her affairs in order.

Number one thing I'm grateful for this last year is my wife.  You don't know how good you have things until they get tested by how bad you have things.  She's taken all the crap this past year far better than I have.

All in all, 2011 wasn't as bad as it seems at first glance.....but I am looking forward to a much better 2012.

No comments: