December 30, 2011

The Only Thing Better Than Free Beer.....

I've heard that there is no such thing as free beer, so I was looking at the next best thing, which I'll have to get back to.  Evidently there is such a thing as free beer and there is even a movement to support it.  Ok, the "free" is a misnomer, as always, but the movement is real.

Some guys got together and  figured out the best way to promote American Soccer is to give out/away beer in order to get new people to watch a game. I've never seen a full game of soccer....if someone wants to give me some free beer I'm up for a match.  For the record though, the game doesn't have to be good, but the beer better be.



Key Ring App
Free beer and soccer aside, the next best thing I could come up with is "free" food.  I'm a sucker for taking surveys and questionares in my spare time based on the promise of possibly getting something in return.  If the questions run too long I'll just bail in the middle, so taking an hour-long survey for a 1 in a bazillion chance at a free soda just isn't going to happen.  Having to carry a punch card to get a free taco is something I can get down with too.  I carry a small extra wallet filled with loyalty cards of all shapes and sizes.  Some cards you can get replaced with an app on your cell phone.  I use KeyRing and recommend it to anyone.  If you have a smartphone you can scan this 2D bar code to go straight to an appropriate download.

Sometimes I get handed an opportunity to get some "free" food for taking a survey rating a place I just ate at.  This last week I got two of these surveys, one from Old Chicago and another from Shari's.

Bother surveys were relatively short and wanted to know how much I liked my food, my server, and how clean the restaurant was.  I found it interesting that Old Chicago wanted to know if I used the restroom, but didn't ask me any questions about it.

I swear the surveys took me about a minute to take.  Old Chicago is giving me a free appetizer (with entree purchase) and Shari's a free Mozzarella Cheese Sticks.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that together they average $7 in value.  $7 for two, maybe three minutes worth of work.  This is the kind of work I want to do!  $140 an hour sounds pretty epic.

I should also mention that if you sign up for their customer programs, which is little more than an email list, you can get a free pizza and some free pie on your birthday.  Shari's will toss in an extra slice for signing up!


Right in time for my new workout routine with the Xbox 360 The Biggest Loser.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you're ever in Austin, Texas... the beer is on us!