November 18, 2011

Grandma's Bacon Spaghetti

Bacon is meat candy
Mmmmmm....bacon.  It is hard for me to think that at one time in our country Bacon was just some "lesser" meat.  Canadian Bacon, I get, but Bacon Bacon...it just seems un-American.

Unless you are a vegetarian.  I have to cut guys like Dave a little slack.  Strict in-your-face Vegans are right out though.

Another recipe from Grandma Collins is this old and simple recipe for Bacon Spaghetti.  My notes say this was a depression-era dish, but I think it is more than likely a Word War II rationing dish.  Steaks and burgers were more difficult to come by, but the "lesser meats" like Bacon weren't so much an issue.  Of course if it was called Kidney & Liver Spaghetti I doubt the recipe would have survived to the modern age.


As it stands now, Bacon is enjoying a huge swell in popularity.  We have Bacon Salt, Baconaise, and even Bacon Vodka.  I have tried Bacon Salt and Baconaise (in fact I highly recommend these vegetarian [and Kosher] products).

Mmmmmmm...bacon
For a simple dish from a simpler time, you just can't beat good old-fashioned Grandma's Bacon Spaghetti:
Cooked Pasta
1 Medium Onion
1# Bacon
1 Green Pepper
1 Small Can Tomatoes
2 Large Cans Tomato Sauce
bacon, onions, and green pepper

Cut bacon into 1/2 inch strips and soft cook.  Keep some grease in the pan.  Chop the onion and pepper and cook in retained grease until the onion cooks clear.  Add the cans of tomatoes and cook over medium heat for 1/2 hour.  Add pasta.
Only 1/2 left before I can eat some bacon spaghetti
My pan runneth over!

Doesn't get much simpler than this.  Now I'm hungry...

I think it is important to note that this makes a lot of sauce.  I'm guessing about enough for 2 22oz packages of spaghetti noodles.  I usually end up freezing half of it for use later.

Now this may be just me, but I think Bacon Spaghetti is good cold.

Click here for Week 12 of Mostly Homemade Monday
Shared 10Aug12

No comments: