October 19, 2011

Don't be Such a Wuss

Before the end of the month I have to stop by the Red Cross and donate two units of blood so they can give it back to me should I need it during the bone marrow donation surgery.  They call it an autologous donation.

Well....saying I have to "stop by" to donate is a bit of a misstatement.  I have two appointments to donate.  The first donation appointment was 8 AM this morning.  I haven't had to be anywhere at 8 AM in quite some time.  Here in Boise I'd rather have a 7 AM or a 9 AM appointment (or beginning of my work day).  Traffic is usually nuts approaching 8 AM.

I used to donate blood regularly.  I had to stop somewhere around the 1 gallon mark because there was some concern that I may have Mad Cow Disease.  Basically you have a permanent donation deferral if you lived in Europe during the late 80's to the late 90's.  Since I stopped donating regularly I seemed to have become much more of a wuss.  Small blood draws leave me light-heated and I loathe the feeling of that needle in my arm.  It isn't the stick I dislike, it's the feeling of that metal in my arm.

The last two blood draws have been trouble-free.  I've made sure to be well hydrated and had a good meal before I came in.

I roll in to the local donation center when they open.  Drink in hand and a full belly.  One of the first things I notice is that the ARC now has some sort of "loyalty card" program.  Seriously?  Donate whole blood, get X number of points....plasma gets you a lesser amount.  You can trade in your points for various crap, or you can donate them to the troops.  I have no clue what the "troops" need with red cross points or crap, but hey....if it gets you in to donate blood, I'm all for it.

Since I haven't been in to donate in the last decade I'm not in their system so we have to go through the normal "new customer" type setup.  It isn't a big deal and I make plenty of small talk with the ......the....heck, what do you call these folks, a phlebotomist?  I tell her I haven't donated since 1999 since the Red Cross is worried I have Interrupting Cow Disease.  She doesn't bite.  I was expecting her to say something in response so I could interrupt her with a loud "Mooo!"  Yes, it is a cheap joke and I was going to go for it, but it fell flat.

The actual donation went by quicker than I expected and after a few errands I'm home to walk the dog and see the wife off to work.  I'm surprised that I'm a bit more tired than I expected to be.  Well...last time I was more than 10 years younger and in better physical shape.

Great...I go back in a week.  The normal timespan between donations is eight weeks and it takes at least four to replace the red blood cells.  I'll be upping my iron supplements until my donation.

No comments: