September 23, 2011

Have internet, will slay Zombies

Have internet, will slay Zombies
Zombies have become popular recently. I'd argue they've been popular for a while, but not everyone is a dork like me.

On the gaming side of things, there are more ZOMBIES!!! games and add-ons from Twilight Creations than you can shake a stick at.  I'm not complaining as I think it is a great game.

Almost forgot about the OOP game Maul of America.  Somewhere I have a file for playing it with the cast of Knights of the Dinner Table.

Then we have Resident Evil and all of the movies, and I'd be remiss in not mentioning one of my favorites, Army of Darkness.  I've played the PS3 version of Fistful of Boomstick and I know I have an Army of Darkness card game somewhere too.

This is just scratching the surface on the game side of things and I could post a bunch of entries on the new games coming out.  At Origins this year it seemed that every other vendor was coming out with some zombie and/or vampire game.  The only one I know I'll be picking up sometime is Munchkin Zombies.

The best games in this genre, which for some dumb reason I was about to gloss over, would be Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead II.  If you don't own an Xbox 360, these are the games you go and buy one for.  I wasn't even remotely interested in the 360, but I so wanted this game.  Imagine my surprise when my wife bought me both for Christmas a couple years ago.  Run, don't walk, to your nearest Fred Meyer and buy both!  I have to pimp Fred Meyer here since that's where the Mrs. works.

There is also an unofficial Left 4 Dead movie coming out.



Years ago I was playing on an online MMRPG called Urban Dead.  It was largely text based and a bit of fun.  I had several characters and managed to get together briefly to play with some of my online friends.  While I found it enjoyable, it lost its appeal a bit too quickly.

More recently I discovered what felt like a good successor to the Urban Dead game.  This one is much more graphical, but still a work in progress.  You get to create an avatar and as you load him, or her, up with clothing and equipment the avatar gets the appropriate makeover.  I'm hoping to eventually get a few people together and form a clan.  The game is called Zombie Pandemic and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  Not sure how fun it is to play on the zombie side of the game and I haven't seen any major signs of zombie organization, but then I have been doing what I can to engage in hit-and-run tactics and spend every night in a safe-house of some type.

*Some of these links can/may/will take you to consumer websites.  You can tell them I said "hi", but they won't know who I am and I won't profit off of anything you choose to buy.  Tell them I said hi anyway.

No comments: