March 16, 2009

Rant on Drinks

Rant on Drinks
I've been using the "microblogger" Twitter for a while now and my regular blogs have sufferred becuase of it. Don't know if/when that'll change, but I'm currently OK with that.

Tomorrow is the drunken holiday here in the US that is also known as "St. Patrick's Day". It's the one day where allegedly everyone is just a wee bit Irish. Chicago throws a bunch of plumbing dye into the river, turning it green, and all across the US people march in parades and drink 'till they puke.

Doesn't it just make our holiday traditions sound just so swell?

Locally...and I'm sure the are doing it elsewhere, some of the bars have been promoting a drink special for St. Patrick's Day call the "Car Bomb" or "Irish Car Bomb" (3/4 pint Guinness® stout, 1/2 shot Bailey's® Irish cream, and 1/2 shot Jameson® Irish whiskey). I think it's such a fantastic idea that we name a drink for an act of terroism that we should think about some other drinks:
  • How about the 9/11! You take a standard Cement Mixer (1 jigger Bailey's® Irish cream and 1 jigger lime juice), top it off with some 151 Rum and set alight. It's best to serve two at a time in really tall glasses that you spill out onto the bar when your are done.
  • Then there is the Trail of Tears. You take a standard Forget Me Not (1.0 oz Apple Schnapps, 0.75 oz Cherry Liqueur, and 0.25 oz Cherry Liqueur), throw in a dash of saltwater and toss as far across the bar as you can. It's best if a whole bunch of drinks 'die' along the way.
  • And let's not forget the Beheading! You start with a standard Head Hunter (1 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur, 1.5 oz Malibu® coconut rum, and 1.5 oz pineapple juice) and toss in a couple drops of tobasco sauce. If you can, please use a little plastic sword to stir the drink.
I'm serious that I don't like the drink ideas, but not about these drinks. I wouldn't try to replicate them and quite frankly I hope they suck ass if you do.

1 comment:

Irena Reznik said...

I agree about the "Irish Car Bombs". I find a lot of things funny, but terrorism in Ireland isn't one of them. I thought it was especially tacky given that the old resentments were starting to flare up again during the same week that people were advertising this drink everywhere.