May 22, 2007

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

If that isn’t a true statement I don’t know what is. My life is getting better all the time, but nothing is even coming close to going by plan. I’m supposed to be writing some tournament adventures for the HackMaster Association and that isn’t going as well as planned. I really don’t want to get into certain details, but it’d be an accurate statement that I was ready to just quit the game altogether. Certain things were sucking the life out of me and the enjoyment out of the game.

I tried to re-group and salvage what I could and then my boss has to go and almost get himself killed. He pushed his body too hard and got pneumonia while out on one of his many business trips. I’ve had to do what I could to step up and take care of things, but there is only so much I could do. He’s doing better now and is back home, but I lost a lot of precious time in the interim.

When it feels like you’ve got the weight of the world on you it’s hard to get motivated to work on something as trivial as a game. I love my boss and my job and facing the loss of both is a bit much. Don’t get me wrong, if I’m unemployed tomorrow that is pretty much just an inconvenience. A major inconvenience, but something I can work with.

I do my best to not let on what bothers me (unless I’m simply pissed….I suck at hiding that kind of emotion), so to some this could be more telling than anything else from these last few weeks. A couple of bright points were being able to play HackMaster on Wednesday nights……but we’ve had one half-assed game in the last month (it was a good half-assed game though).

We were planning on the annual Memorial Day trip down to Salt Lake City to play with our friends down there. That plan was shot to hell last week when a couple of our friends let us know that they had to be out of town that weekend making up some work. Well “shot to hell” may be a bit strong…..we were going to be staying with those friends, but I gives a damn about the lodging. They did offer to let us stay there anyway, but we normally get a hotel, so no big change there. I’ll just miss their company. You need to do what you need to do, so I can’t fault them for sucking up personal “fun” to make ends meet…..been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Speaking of t-shirts, Carolyn has given me an awesome idea for a custom t-shirt to take to Origins this year. I so want to post the idea, but I want to surprise folks if I get the chance.

1 comment:

Self-Hating Shrew said...

I know this feeling. I'm also trying to concentrate on writing a game (although mine is a computer RPG module), and it's just hard to concentrate on it at the moment.

I hope your boss gets better. Your boss must be amazing, because I don't hear people say "I love my boss" often.