December 20, 2004

Idiot girl

My wife and I just came back from seeing Spanglish, the new Adam Sandler film. We loved it, by the way, even though it was far from conventional.

Anyway, I saw something while at the theater that just cheeses me off. Never mind the fact that many things bug me....

We have a small local theater that isn't too busy on a Monday afternoon. There were few other patrons, a family of which caught my attention. There was an older couple with a teenage daughter there. The parents seemed normal enough, but the daughter.....

Boise in December is pretty cold. During movie time it was 35 degrees or so. The parents wre dressed "normally", as was just about everybody. The girl, I'd guess 16 or 17 years of age, was wearing a long scarf and a knit cap, but little else. This future of American Society was wearing a sleeveless, low-cut belly shirt and flip-flops.

WTFO?! Are girls such a slave to fashion that they can't even go to a sparsely-populated movie dressed appropriately for the weather? Catch a clue here....it's a movie theater! Nice and dark. Everybody is looking at the screen, not at you!

Of course let's not blame the parents here. We expect kids to be stupid on many levels so it shouldn't be too much as a suprise, but come on! The folks were right there. They were dressed for the weather and they couldn't go, "Hey! At least bring a coat, and for Gawd's Sake wear some shoes and socks."

I like the cold and remember going out to the car in the driveway in the middle of winter with shorts and nothing on my feet. That was it though-out to the car, get whatever, and right back inside. None of this off to the movies or around town crap.


Oh yeah, as we left the theater I saw a trio of (maybe) 14 year old girls coming into the theater for a movie. Yep, you guessed it, they were dressed like the earlier girl. They should be getting out of the theater any minute now. It's currently 30 degrees outside......

1 comment:

Illuminati Rob said...

Not to shocking. You will even see women in their early 20's or so doing that too. Hence why I typically don't enjoy the company of most younger women. Stupid is as stupid does.